Grilling with Bobby


by Neil Cates, Livestock Production Agent

 

The grass is turning green, the suns out longer, the temperatures are warming up and the cover is coming off of my grill. Most of you know that I am the Livestock Agent for the district. Obviously I have a strong passion for livestock and particularly beef cows. Another passion of mine, which holds true for most guys is eating, especially anything that comes off the grill.
 

Over the years, I have experimented with grilling and I really enjoy it. Usually I am a pretty humble person, but I believe I could give Bobby Flay a run for his money. Ok, maybe my skill level isn’t there yet, but when the weather warms up, I grill as much as I can.

I like to grill because there are so many options available: beef, pork, the occasional yard bird, and even fish. Once you select your cut of meat, then the options really grow: dry rubs or marinades, Cajun, lemon pepper or bbq flavored seasoning, or my personal favorite garlic and herb for steaks.

When at the meat section at the grocery store, the options can seem overwhelming. I get some of my inspirations at the Beef Checkoff website. There are several recipes available, and they all look delicious. They have recipes for a large variety of meat cuts. The Kansas Pork Association also offers a variety of recipes on their website.

I encourage you to visit these websites before your next trip to the store.

http://beefitswhatsfordinner.com/recipes.aspx

http://www.eatpork.org/

Until next time, happy grilli
ng!

Popular Posts