Aliesa Woods, 4-H Youth Development Agent
Anyone who has chaperoned a group of teens at a conference or advised a teen club or organization know that adults have varying degrees of success on working with teenagers. What is the difference between adults who are successful in working with teens and those who are not? There are several secrets for success for working effectively with teens. Listed below are ten tips for adults to be effective when working with teens.
- Caring: Care about teens, be dedicated, and put that care and dedication into action.
- Respect: Respect teens, and expect them to respect you.
- Enthusiasm: Be enthusiastic and have a sense of humor.
- Honesty: Let them know what’s expected (and have high expectations.)
- Fairness: Be aware of what’s really going on; be fair and reasonable in evaluating.
- Guidance and Encouragement: Give them guidance, training, and encouragement.
- Meet Their Needs: Learn teen needs, wants and expectations, and provide for them.
- Responsibility: Involve them and give them REAL responsibilities.
- Confidence: Demonstrate a positive attitude of confidence and trust in them.
- Openness: Be open to suggestions and constructive criticism yourself.